Why reinvent the wheel? Follow my proven formula for building or updating a Web site for your freelance copywriting business that: positions you as an expert ... generates a constant flow of sales leads online ... and helps clients make the decision to hire you to write for them.
"I'm a beginning copywriter," RL told me over the phone. "Do I need a Web site?"
Ten years ago, my answer would have been "No. It's nice to have a Web site for your copywriting business, but you don't need one."
Five years ago I would have told RL that he might be able to get away with not having a Web site for a while ... but not forever.
But today, I told RL to jump on the Internet, reserve a domain name, and put up a Web site - right away.
As you are undoubtedly aware, the freelance copywriting profession has become extremely competitive. Hundreds of newbie copywriters enter the business every year.
While a Web site alone doesn't differentiate you, a strategically planned and effectively implemented copywriting Web site can help you stand out from all the competition.
In this letter, I'm going to walk you through some of the strategies that can turn your Web site from a useless online brochure into a powerful business building tool.
I'll also share with you a few cool tips and tricks for generating more traffic, inquiries, leads - even orders - with your simple copywriting Web site.
How big is your e-list?
What is the objective of your copywriting Web site? To establish an online presence? Build your credibility? Generate inquiries?
It's likely all of the above. But in addition, your Web site is a tool for building your e-list: a group of users who have given you their e-mail address along with permission to send e-mail to it.
Having a large e-list can boost your income. You can promote other people's products as an affiliate to your list. You can develop and sell your own products to your e-list.
You can also use e-mail to generate leads and assignments fast online. Once I sent an e-mail to my list offering to write e-mail marketing messages at a special package price. I had three assignments within 72 hours.
To build a large and profitable e-list, you need mechanisms on the site for capturing traffic and turning visitors into subscribers for your free e-newsletter or other free content.
In Build Your Copywriting Web Site, you'll master little-known strategies for building your online prospect list fast. One of these is the "floater."
A floater is a little box or window that pops up on your home page whenever somebody logs onto your site:
Floaters work because they are "in your face." They bring your major e-list-building strategy - giving away a newsletter or other content free - to the forefront, thereby increasing e-mail address capture. Oh, and I'll also show you how to prevent pop-up blockers from blocking your floater, so that every visitor to your site sees it.
Fresh content = more traffic
Your copywriting Web site should have lots of useful content - and, you should be adding new content continually.
Adding new content gives visitors an incentive to return again and again - to see what new information is available.
New content also helps optimize your Web site, raising your site rankings in Google and other search engines.
But often, it's difficult for visitors to figure out what content on your site is new. The easiest way to fix this? Add a "What's New" box on the home page. Continually update the box to highlight the latest content additions to your site.
Generate 2X more sales leads online
One of the primary goals of having a Web site is to generate leads online for your freelance copywriting services.
Most copywriters have a "contact" button somewhere on the home page - usually in the menu bar or at the bottom of the page.
I did too. But then I added a big burst in the upper right corner of every page of my site. It said: "Need great copy? Click here now."
With this simple addition (see below), I DOUBLED the number of sales leads I got online. You can, too, just by using such a burst and contact form on YOUR site. Try it!
More secrets of setting up a business-building copywriter Web site...
In my big 167-page e-book, Build Your Copywriting Web Site, you'll discover many other shortcuts and tips for creating a killer Web site for your freelance copywriting or consulting business.
- 3 key questions to ask before you build your freelance copywriting Web site. Page 3.
- Show potential copywriting clients instant samples with an online portfolio. Page 14.
- 12 steps to getting your Web site up and running quickly and easily. Page 6.
- A site architecture that allows prospects to instantly find the information they need on your site. Page 15.
- 7 ways to use your Web site to promote your freelance copywriting business online. Page 9.
- How to design an effective lead capture form that doubles your online inquiries. Page 12.
- 4 steps to designing a result-getting header for your home page. Page 19.
- Where to find inexpensive HTML designers to create your Web site fast and cheap. Page 18.
- Add value to your Web site by offering visitors free use of online interactive tools. Page 20.
- How to write killer copy for your freelance web site's home page. See page 24.
- 5 ways to create a sign-up box that gets more site visitors to subscribe to your e-newsletter. Page 26.
- Describing your freelance writing services to help potential clients quickly learn what you offer and why they should hire you. Page 32.
- Creating an FAQ (frequently asked questions) page - and why it works so well. Page 34.
- Overcoming prospect price resistance by offering a copy critique service on your site. Plus: how much to charge for critiques. Page 42.
- Selling consulting and coaching services on your copywriting Web site. Starts on page 46.
- Promoting yourself as a speaker, trainer, and seminar leader on your copywriting Web site. Page 56.
- An easy way to make sure interested prospects can immediately contact you no matter what page of your site they are on. Page 58.
- Writing a powerful online bio that establishes your credibility and differentiates you from the competition. Page 59.
- Convincing skeptical prospects to hire you with an online track record. Page 65.
- How to create, organize, and post a searchable online portfolio of your copywriting samples. Page 67.
- Organizing your online client list. Page 69.
- Using photos to establish instant credibility. Page 72.
- The power of multiple testimonials. Page 73.
- Tell prospects and clients how you work with a "Methodology Page." Page 76.
- Sell your books on your copywriting Web site while using them to showcase your experience as a writer. Page 80.
- Should you feature your information products on your copywriting Web site or a separate portal Web site? Answer on page 82.
- Establish yourself as a "thought leader" in your niche - and raise your search engine rankings -- with a "free reports" page and a "free articles" page. Starts on page 84.
- The most valuable page I have on my Web site that virtually no other freelance copywriter bothers to include on theirs. Page 86.
- Using a blog to market your freelance copywriting services. Page 97.
- How to gather information about your prospect's potential copywriting project right on your Web site. Page 92.
- Improve your Google ranking with inbound links. Page 99.
- 10 steps to planning, writing, and posting your copywriting Web site. Page 102.
- Creating an easy-to-use menu bar for navigating your Web site. Page 103.
- Determining the key words prospects use to search for your freelance copywriting services ... and incorporating them into your Web pages to optimize your site for search engines. Page 105.
- Writing compelling Web site pages when you are a beginning copywriter with limited clients and experience. Page 108.
- Choosing and reserving a memorable domain name. Page 119.
- 4 things to consider when arranging hosting for your Web site. Page 121.
- Save money on designing your Web site with these do-it-yourself tools. Page 130.
- Transferring your new site from the development server to the production server to make it go "live." Page 132.
- Proven ways to promote your Web site - and drive more traffic to it. Page 133.
- Build your e-zine subscriber list faster by adding a pop-up e-mail address capture form. Page 155.
- Attract more visitors with online tests, assessments, quizzes, and surveys. Page 157.
- Get visitors to return over and over by highlighting all the new valuable free content on your site. Page 161.
- Plus: forms ... recommended vendors ... and more. Starts on page 137.
"I think I can build a good site (do have a little bit of credibility going for me), but your book is a HUGE help. Every little detail is thought out and plays an important role, and should be considered in the design and building. It is NOT to be skimmed over. If you do you're just short-changing yourself. For a guy like me who's more of a 'fly by the seat of my pants' operator it is INVALUABLE to make me stop and consider each part as I lay it out."
"Just purchased the e-book on building a copywriter's website. I thought the notion of using a site as online inquiry fulfillment was alone worth the price. Sometimes it's the simple ideas that can elude us, I guess."
I purchased your "Build Your Copywriting Web Site," last week and want to thank you for the information in that e-book.
Building my copywriting site has been a challenge (to say the least). I've done several rewrites following the advise of AWAI and marketing leaders. I almost took it offline because it was just not coming together. My SEO rankings are great, but my lead generation wasn't working at all. When I read through your information something really clicked. I'll be ripping it apart again and implementing a lot of the ideas you presented. Can't tell you how relieved I am that I feel I finally have some answers!
Have a great day!
Order now and save $20
Build Your Copywriting Web Site is priced at $59 - and that's what we intend to sell it for later in the year when we advertise the manual all over the Internet.
But for a limited time only, I'm offering Build Your Copywriting Web Site at a special introductory rate of just $39.
That's less than I charge for just 5 minutes of my time - and a savings of $20 off the list price.
However, $39 is your investment only if Build Your Copywriting Web Site enables you to put up a killer Web site for your copywriting business.
If not, your investment is zero. Zilch. Nothing. Nada.
That's because I invite you to...
Use it risk-free for 90 days
If you are not 100% satisfied with Build Your Copywriting Web Site for any reason ... or for no reason at all ...
Just let me know within 90 days for a full and prompt refund. And keep the e-book free, with my compliments.
That way, you risk nothing.
So what are you waiting for?
To examine Build Your Copywriting Web Site for 90 days risk-free, just click below now:
P.S. FREE Bonus Gift! Order today and you get a valuable FREE 54-page Bonus Report, Copywriting: the Master Touch (list price: $29).
In it, you'll discover:
- How to increase response up to 900% just by changing the offer - page 50.
- The easiest way on Earth to convince skeptical buyers to do business with you - page 44.
- 4 steps to selecting a winning premium - page 6.
- The best day and time (and the worst) for sending e-mail marketing messages - page 20.
- Choosing words for your copy with the most selling power - page 41.
- Double your inquiries and sales leads by offering a "bait piece" - page 46.
- Tips and techniques for writing more effective renewal series - page 12.
- What's working best today in direct mail: an envelope package, a self-mailer, or a simple postcard - page 3.
- Federal government gives you free content to use in your marketing without paying them a dime - page 9.
- Using the FAB Pyramid to add depth and verisimilitude to your copy - page 32.
- How to convince skeptical readers that the product claims you make in your copy are absolutely true - page 38.
- And so much more....
Best of all, you can keep this copywriting report absolutely free, even if you return the Web site guide for a refund. So you come out ahead either way.
To order Build Your Copywriting Web Site ... and get your FREE Bonus Report ... click below now:
Bob Bly is a full-time freelance copywriter specializing in direct marketing. He earns more than $700,000 a year from his writing, and became a self-made multi-millionaire while still in his 30s.
A copywriter for more than a quarter of a century, Bob has written promotions for over 100 clients including Phillips, Agora, KCI, 21st Century, Weiss Research, EBI Medical Systems, Sony, IBM, AT&T, Grumman, Crain Communications, McGraw-Hill, Intuit, and AlliedSignal.
Bob is the author of over 70 books including The Copywriter's Handbook (Henry Holt) and Business-to-Business Direct Marketing (NTC Business Books). He has published more than 100 articles in such publications as Successful Meetings, Direct, Business Marketing, Writer's Digest, and Amtrak Express.
Bob's writing awards include a Gold Echo from the Direct Marketing Association, an IMMY from the Information Industry Association, two Southstar Awards, an American Corporate Identity Award of Excellence, the Standard of Excellence award from the Web Marketing Association, and AWAI 2007 Copywriter of the Year. He has also taught marketing at New York University.
Mr. Bly has appeared as a guest on dozens of TV and radio shows including The Advertising Show, Bernard Meltzer, CNBC, and CBS Hard Copy. He has been featured in major media ranging from the LA Times and Nation's Business to the New York Post and the National Enquirer.
about Bob Bly
"One of the best copywriters in the business."
--Michael Meanwell, author, "The Wealthy Writer"
"Bob Bly is one of the most successful copywriters in the world. I've used his services and purchased a lot of his materials -- and always profited from both."
--Bob Serling, President, Idea Quotient
"Considered one of the best copywriters in the country."
--David E. Wright, President, International Speakers Network
"There's no better copywriter than Robert W. Bly, the man I call the 'King of Copy.' He can teach you more about the art and science of marketing than anyone I know."
--Richard Dean Starr
"20 years ago, when Bob Bly starting teaching copywriting, the field was deeply shrouded in mystery. Now, thanks to Bob, learning copywriting, though still a tricky proposition, is much easier."
"For over 25 years, Bob Bly has set the gold standard in results-oriented business-to-business writing."
--Roger C. Parker, author, Looking Good in Print
"Perhaps the most famous copywriter of all."
"When it comes to educating his fellow copywriters and marketers, Bob Bly is the master."
"Bob . . . Just got the copy and advertisement you did for my new book . . . It's great! You are good! Great job . . . you have tremendous insights into what excites and what sells!"
--Don Libey, Libey Incorporated
"In my opinion, you are the best copywriter in the software industry."
--Judy MacDonald, Director of Marketing, Direct Response
"I've spoken to a thousand copywriters over the years and Bob Bly is the best. He knows what he's doing."
--Joe Culotta, Natural Medicine Co.
"I am happy to report to you that your piece outproduced the 4 other packages we tested against it. I want to talk to you about another project...."
--Nick Roumi, Pacific Coast Funding
"The original ad insert of 'Wall Street's Loss is Your Gain' continues to kick butt -- pulls 12 to 15 subscriptions a week. Not bad for a $500 investment made 5 months ago."
--Charles Mizrahi, Stealth Stocks
"As a marketing professional, for 17 years I wrote my own promotional material, but I am not a professional copywriter. It wasn't until I took my own advice that I started getting the results I deserved. With Bob Bly, I got what I wanted - in the promised time frame - with re-writes - and the results I wanted. Thanks Bob!"
--Mark Amtower, Amtower & Company
"I found your ad copy compelling, powerful ... even entertaining. You really communicated the 'feel' of the message we are selling. Thanks for such great work, Bob!"
--Ashley Earnhardt Aiken, Thomas Nelson Publishers
"Bob wrote the most ballsy ad in the history of Dynamic Changes and it set sales records this fall. People couldn't stop themselves from responding."
--Richard Scheffren, Dynamic Changes Hypnosis
"Last year you did all the copy on the What Would Jesus Eat brochure. It was wonderful and I believe is one of the reasons that the book continues to do so very well.
--Pamela Clements, Thomas Nelson Publishers
"A special thanks to Bob for doing a superb job and making this work so well. I felt like a brilliant puppet in your hands."
--Michael Masterson, AWAI
"Even though he refuses to admit it, Bob is THE Direct Marketing guru ... or, at the very least, he's mine."
--Jill Perri, American Consultants League
"I am thrilled with your package, it is doing great -- will roll out as the control."
--Chris Gast, Intuit
"Great job on the Turnaround Report; it's been a huge success. We've had an incredible product launch, with hundreds of free trials in the first week."
--Marc Stockman, TheStreet.com
"Just to let you know we have been using your 8 ways letter and brochure that you did for us last year with great success. We decided to double our monthly direct mailing. Things are really taking off. I can only attribute that to our increased direct mail program. Thank you for helping us get an effective package together."
--Ray Hardee, Engineered Software, Inc.
"Your e-mail to promote ETR pulled double the response and three times the gross revenue of the control, with a 45% increase in average order size."
--Lisa Bruette, Agora Inc.
"We're very pleased! The piece you wrote has at 43 days resulted in 204 orders and 165% ROI. I have submitted a new mail plan for a rollout for 200,000+ pieces. You'll be getting a royalty payment for this."
--George Rayburn, The Dan Ferris Power Report
"It was a pleasure to work with you. Your stuff just works. You are the best money I've ever spent. Thanks a million!"
--Gail Coopersmith, Coopersmith List Consultants
"Your copy was right on target and played a major role in one of our most successful new product launches."
--Joan Damico, GretagMacbeth
"We're still running both projects you did for us last time. They're still pulling. Great stuff."
--John Leper, Stanford International
"The first four times your half-page, 2-color ad ran in Chemical Engineering, it was the highest inquiry generating ad in the magazine. It even outscored full pages and spreads."
--Bob Berner, Robert K. Berner Associates
"We still are using [the package you did for us]. It still beats all challengers to the control."
--Mark Friedman, Medical Economics
"Potence insert is looking good, currently projected to achieve a 3.64% response with a $60 (three units of purchase) average order."
--Glory Kneass, Drs. Preferred
"The Internet direct mail you wrote for us got an excellent response: 7.55% from a rented list of hard-to-excite prospects."
--Ken Paston, Studebaker-Worthington Leasing Corp.
"Bob, since working with you last fall on the plan to position Unique Truck as a source for all shop equipment, we have cut our catalog mailings 60% with no drop in sales. I look forward to a long relationship."
--Dick Stillwell, President, Unique Truck
"Sizzling stuff... very compelling... top shelf. Thanks for your quick turnaround."
--Patrick Kephart, MasterMedia
"All who reviewed your copy agreed it was terrific. Certainly it's the best DM copy I've ever had to work with, because you've hit the rare combination of good writing and a good knowledge of what you are writing about."
--Lois DeLong, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
"The copy is very good and certainly a fresh improvement on what we've done in the past. Thanks again for your help... the campaign was very successful."
--Scott Thompson, Federal Employees Almanac
"Congratulations. Your Forecasts & Strategies 'Internet Infrastructure' package is a winner ... your piece is doing almost twice as good as our 'Y2K Sample Issue' mailing. I am looking forward to working with you again in the future."
--Chris Marett, Phillips Publishing
"Bob Bly, our marketing consultant, helped us produce over 8% response in less than 2 months after we started a marketing campaign. Not only did we get good numbers, we got inquiries from the cream of the crop on our target list. And, we generated about 350% increase in dollar business over the previous year."
--Sheila M. Anderson, President, Commercial Property Services
"The advanced renewal you wrote for Utility Forecaster is doing great! Mailed 4/29... 5.2% response (as of 5/27) and an average sale of $116. Thanks!"
--Lori Bethea, KCI Communications
"Your #10 direct mail package for Sarnoff's Samurai Strategies has beat the pants off the control by more than 3 to 1. Congratulations and keep up the good work!"
--David Yale, M&PA
"The letter is good... approximately 10% responded."
--Stephen S. Flaum, Flaum Consultants
"Here is a contract for four separate direct mail packages. The More Than a Gut Feeling for Sales direct mail package is getting an excellent response-a very big thank you for your help on that project."
--Tiffan Yamen, American Media
"The direct mail package looks great! Thanks!"
--Tammy Ray, Marketing Director, McGraw-Hill Book Clubs
"You sure write powerful copy!"
--Fred Weiss, Studebaker-Worthington Leasing Corp.
--Murray Raphel, Raphel Marketing
--Markus Allen, Publisher
"There is no greater authority on business-to-business direct response copywriting than Bob Bly. What impresses me most about Bob Bly is his knack for making things clear and simple."
"Bob Bly is among the most accomplished self-employed copywriters in recent years."
"Bob Bly is probably the best business-to-business, high tech, industrial, direct marketing copywriter in the country."
"Perhaps the most famous copywriter of them all."
"[A] freelance writing dynamo...."
"One of the great copywriters in the direct marketing industry...."
--Ruth Stevens, author, The DMA Lead Generation Handbook
"...[a] copywriting giant..."
--Freelance Writer's Report
"Bob Bly is a human machine who has been outputting high-grade direct marketing copy for decades. I've read a few of his numerous books and have learned much from this pro."
--Larry Chase, Web Digest For Marketers
"Renowned direct marketing practitioner and prolific author Bob Bly [is] nationally recognized for his control-beating copy. [He] knows how to write for results."
--Kansas City Direct Marketing Association
"Bob Bly is in the upper echelon of direct mail and email copywriters and he's an all-around direct marketing guru. In addition to hundreds of successful campaigns for technology clients, Bly has authored or co-authored more then 50 books."
--Bruce Hadley, softwareceo.com
"Bly is probably one of the world's most famous and experienced copywriters. He is also a noted authority on the creation of online copy and online trends."
--The Compulsive Reader
"Bob Bly is a world-class copywriter."
"I've known Bob for a long time. His stuff is terrific."
--Johne Forde, Copywriter's Roundtable
"Bob Bly [is] a prolific advertising genius."
--Joe Vitale, "Mr. Fire"